Brisbane Thatch Bali Huts.
Synthetic Thatch installation guidelines for solid roofs.
1) Inspect your frame : Installing Palmex on existing corrugated roof, timber or plywood sheets.
See diagram for the use of different pieces.
Please Note : Everybody who look at one Palmex leave always get a fright, thinking it's too thin! Well, fear not, you have to look at several leaves overlapping to get the right picture.
2) Items needed to install Palmex.
- Screws (can use nail gun without the rails)
- Welding gloves
- Cordless drill with hex head screwdriver
- Heat gun
- Garden pruning scissors
- Some Good Ladders and scaffold plus Safety harness for the really big ones.
3 )Start from the bottom of the roof and mark 120 to maximum 150mm to the top of the roof. Draw Horizontal lines where the plamex should be screwed down.
If Srewing down the Palmex on corrugated iron, screw it down on the ridges of the corrugated iron. Please note the screws will be seen form the bottom if there is no ceiling installed under the roof.
If you screw down the Palmex on Plywood, you can use a shorted screws to make sure that the screws is not seen from underneath.
4) The leaf's should be trimmed above the hips so that there are no holes visible from beneath.
5) Please note: the overhang on the photo is too short.
There should not be any holes visible from above or below.
6) How The Americans Install the hips without using any corner pieces.
6.1) How to install corner pieces if you want to take that option.
7) Once the whole roof is thatched. Cut some of the remaining leaves in three. about 250mm to 300mm wide to cover the hips. Also go though all the offcuts that mite be left over and cut them square as well.
We are now using these "short leaves" to cover the hips.
Start from the bottom and cover the bottom of the hips with three short leaves. Stagger them a little so they don't all fall in one direction. Screw them down with 2 or 3 screws then weld them down. The reason for the welding is to make it more water tight and also to form the hips so the fingers does not stand up..
Going up the hip about 110 to 200mm, screw another two leaves down with two or three screws. Weld them down with the heat gut.
The welding process involves heating the plastic till its getting soft and sticky, then pressing it down on the bottom leaves so the it sticks to the bottom leaves forming a weld. Be careful not to over heat the leaves and burn holes in it.
Repeat the process to the top of the hips.
8) Once all the hips are covered and welded. Cover the very top of the ridge with a layer of leaves. Weld them down.
The whole roof should be covers with at least two layers of leaves overlaying each other.
a ) With the square roofs, Use the round crown piece, Screw it down with some screws then form and weld it to the top of the roof.
b ) With the rectangular roofs. over the ridge with some leaves, screw it down and weld it to take the shape of the roof. Now fit the ridge pieces to cover the ridge. Cut the round crown piece in half to fit on the ends of the ridge and screw it down. Carefully weld and form the ridge to your liking.
9) When finish the roof should look like this. See Photo.
10) Sit down and Relax